Thursday, January 12, 2012

Can I get my drivers license in Florida if I live in New York, but am a legal resident of Florida also?

In New YOrk, you have to wait to be 18 to get a drivers license, however , in Florida, you can be 16. I want to get it really badly. My family owns a home in Florida, but I reside in New York. Is it possible for me to go to Florida and apply for a drivers license, sine I am a legal resident?, and then can I use it in New York. (also, can I buy a car registered with a Florida plate?)Can I get my drivers license in Florida if I live in New York, but am a legal resident of Florida also?
Your family owning a home in FL does not make you a FL resident. You live in NY and I assume go to school in NY, so you are a NY resident. You can only get a license in a state if you are a full time resident of that state.



Add to that the fact that you don't have to wait to age 18 to get the NY license. You start the process with the learners permit at age 16 and with drivers ed can have your full license by age 17.



See http://nysdmv.com/license.htm#newdriversCan I get my drivers license in Florida if I live in New York, but am a legal resident of Florida also?
You can only be a legal resident of one state. Just because you own a home in multiple states doesn't mean you are a resident of all those states.



And you must follow the age requirements of whatever state you are driving in. Having an out-of-state license does not exempt you from the laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment